Rainbows quickly became an unplanned recurring theme throughout our 15-day road trip out west. It seemed like rainbows turned up everywhere we went. And, my three-year-old daughter was thrilled! Her joyful squeals are some of my favorite memories from that vacation.
The first rainbow was not really a rainbow at all. We could see the Gateway Arch from the minivan windows as the highway passed by Saint Louis. My little girl was convinced it was a rainbow. She squealed and pointed while chanting “Rainbow! Rainbow!” over and over again. It was so cute!
We saw our second rainbow the next day when we stopped in Oklahoma to see the Catoosa Whale. Our children were running through the water misters to keep cool, and then my daughter saw it… the rainbow in the mist! Once again, she squealed with delight.
Later in the trip, we drove through rainstorms. While driving in the mountains, the rain paused twice for us to discover rainbows. The entire family was excited over these discoveries.
Isn’t nature wondrous and beautiful?
Want to hear more about our amazing road trip? This post is part of our Westward Wanderings series – a multi-part series featuring details and pictures from each stop along our 15-day journey. Here are links to our other posts:
- Preparing for the Road Trips of Our Dreams – Learn about how we prepared for our 15-day road trip with kids.
- Cars the Movie and Route 66 – See how Cars the movie enhanced our family’s travel experiences.
- Road Trip Rainbows – Rainbows became an unexpected recurring theme throughout our 15-day road trip.
- Road Trip: Passing Through the OK – We were pleasantly surprised at how much fun we had passing through Oklahoma. COMING SOON!
- And several more posts on the way!